Sunday, May 17, 2009

In Case You Ever Need to Know...

How to fell a tree using a chainsaw...

When we bought our house in 1990, like most new builds at the time, it was completely unlandscaped. Over the years we've discovered our gardening skills, our budget and our focus have precluded the lushly landscaped yard of our dreams. However, every year at Christmas, we've bought one potted evergreen and very unstrategically planted it.

This year, the tree that has been growing in the corner of our back yard has died. It's grown taller than the house, housed many families of raccoons that have driven our dog to distraction, dumped endless needles and bugs into the swimming pool and honestly, I'm not too upset about the prospect of it coming down. How it's going to come down though, is matter of extreme contention in our house today.

The diameter of the base of the tree is about 20 inches, the height is at least double that in feet. I can't imagine what it's weight might be, but I can easily imagine 40 feet of gigantic, 18 year old dead christmas tree crashing into one of the four corners of our neighbors yards or houses...

I simply don't understand why some men, when they know absolutely nothing about something, still dogmatically insist they will conquer the project even with disaster and insurance claims looming. I know enough about tree felling from googling it this morning to know if you don't know what you're doing, it's dangerous.

I may be overreacting but I'm not too keen on a hole in my kitchen (or anyone else's) caused by a uninformed do it your self novice logger. I'm going to call a professional right now while he's out.

T-I-M-B-EEEEEEEER!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would just take the kids into town and let Mike do what ever he wants. Here is a good question: Does Mike have life insurance?
R.

Mat Steele said...

If you can tell that Mike doesn't know what to do and you have no experience yourself, then Mike doesn't know what to do. I think you're in the right to call a pro.