Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Maggots!

Eeeek! Hyperventilating!

I just picked up my kitchen garbage can to find a literal invasion of sliming, pulsating maggots! I can only remember one worse maggot invasion - in the summer of 1989 when I went away for a week and absentmindedly left a flat of tomatoes enclosed in the dark of my kitchen cabinet.

I'll never forget being alerted to them by the faint buzz of trapped juvenile flies - and my horror as I pulled open the cupboard door, greeted by a swarm in my face...And then pulling out the wet, moving flat, as the bottom disintegrated into my crouched lap... Oooo, the stuff of nightmares...

I dumped a half bottle of bleach on this morning's invasion hoping to stop their advance for refuge under the fridge to no avail. O god - I had to step on them all - and as i flung the maggot caked paper towel across the back deck into the fire pit, a remnant few flailed back at me. And I'd just showered!

Oooo, what is it about a simple larvae that can reduce a grown woman to utter terror?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's plain and simple...... Maggots are disgusting!!!
R.

Erin said...

Ahahaha... so gross! My own episode? Forgotten chicken carcass in the garbage under the kitchen sink + summer heat + week away at camp = fountain of maggots flowing out from the cabinet door to greet me when I got home.

Still shudder if I think about it.

lori said...

Ack, chicken carcass!

Oh gosh, they're horrifying. I had a pic of them here, that just a minute ago I had to remove. Couldn't take it staring at me.

But oooo, I found an even more hideous thing searching for that pic. Teeth Maggots! I'll spare you the details.

Shuddershuddershudder.

Ack why are we even talking about this?!

2sunset said...

OH NOOOOO
Now I'll have to google teeth maggots, BRB...

2sunset said...

AAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG!

time to brush, floss, gargle, repeat...for a month.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

lori said...

Hahahaaaaa! Auggghhhh! I know! It's one of those things, (like those lovely breast pod larvae!) that will live in my dark corners FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

Поздравляю, ваше тезис пригодится [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-derevyannom-stroitelstve/106-stroitelstvo-derevyannogo-zabora.html]строительный портал челябинск[/url]