Sunday, October 3, 2010

So I went in to Vancouver yesterday (2.5 hour trip on the totally deconstructed Hwy 1) to the 2010 Christmas Gala Floral Trade Show. I'm flirting with the idea of Floral Design and this is the event for trends in the industry.

At the break, a fully catered gala event in itself, I sat with an impeccably and expensively dressed woman. I was already feeling a little conspicuous in flip flops & jeans, since nearly everyone was decked out like a christmas tree. Apparently it's inappropriate in Vancouver to wear black rubber thongs in October, but entirely appropriate to wear black silk thongs, especially if they're exposed...

The woman told me a story of her friend, a career florist who'd unexpectedly had her eyesight damaged after being hit in the face with bear spray.

'Bear spray?!' I responded, enthused at the offbeat subject. 'My gosh, if she was close enough to be sprayed on by a bear, she's lucky all she had damaged was her eyesight - she could have lost her life!'

The woman's delicate eyebrow shot up in horror. A deep silence followed and she turned to engage with the woman to her left.

Apparently bear spray is mace. Not bear piss.
Nothing like showing your valley colours at an urban event.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ha! Nice :)

But I'm really glad to hear that you went to the show!

lori said...

The show was amazing, so inspiring! They did stuff along the lines of your christmas guitar. Out of the box, funky, cool, fresh, beautiful... Now i want a florist shop soooo bad! (except not the business part - just the fun designing part)

I picked up a gorgeous black full size ceramic bird bath at a garage sale for free (!) today and oooooooo, I have plans!

Where are u? Did you head down to the States? Settled in your new place yet????

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.. I thought the same - the woman was too close to the bear. You know, I always thought animal spray was a sexual thing. Good thing for that woman it is not.
R.