Sunday, March 15, 2009

So this christmas just passed, I finally stepped to the ranks of people who actually own a pair of pyjama pants. I've fought long and hard all my life to never wear real sleepwear. There's something just sooo, 'vulnerable' about them. Maybe I've seen too many action movies where the main character sleeps gun in hand and leaps from sleep into adrenalinated action. How silly it would be to wearing pyjamas pants. My life isn't exactly an action movie, but, geez, I can always hope...

This christmas however, changed things for me. I was given a pair of turquoise blue, polar fleece pyjama pants with large pale blue polar bears and snowflakes on them. So out of character were they, I nearly threw them out several times. It took me over a month to even try them on. But omg - once I did, I discovered the most comfortable lounging clothing in the world! (And I like to lounge.) I still never sleep in them, mind you, cuz you never know about that action movie thing - but for hanging out on a rainy day when no ones going to see you, awesome. I'm not much of an fan of the current trend of pyjama pants at work, school, or to shop etc, but if that's your style statement, so be it.

I had to see my daughter off yesterday to Cuba. I weighed the odds of being caught in the van in my atrocious pj's and decided to risk it. As I stepped out of the van to hug her good bye in front of her friends house, she waved me frantically back into the vehicle. 'MOM, those pants! Get back in the van!'

I watched her walk to the door a little wistfully. She's growing up so fast. But man, she sure looked fine in those baggy grey sweatpants hanging 2/3's of the way down her butt, with her shiny athletic shorts poking out looking very much like black satin underwear...

Style, either you have it or you don't.

No comments: