Friday, September 11, 2009

Dropped in on some friends yesterday. Haven't seen them often lately, but we keep track of the general jist of each other's lives. 'How're you doing?' I inquired of the husband, who was clearly stressed. 'Good!' he distractedly replied without looking up from his computer. It was a bit forced, even I could tell. His wife shook her head & silently worded, 'Finances.' to me behind his back. 'You?' he asked back, quite apprised of the challenges I'm facing with the Bad Dog. 'Oh good too!' I responded a little more cheerily than truthfully. 'LIAR!' the wife asserted over the exchange. The silence hung for a moment. 'WHO's a liar?' I questioned indignantly, not sure if she meant me or him.

The husband looked up from his laptop, smirking, concluding observantly, 'We both are.'

We all laughed. 'How are you?'... What a stupid greeting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When people ask me "How're you doing?", I reply "My life is great, but you smell. I put my head down and fart. It makes them awkward. They never ask that question again.
R.