Sunday, September 6, 2009

I have a big day plannned today. I'm going down to sort & inventory the freezer at the BD. In the two years we've been open, I've only worked the front end of the restaurant. But with the recent changes, I'm starting to understand more of the business . (See, change isn't always bad.) I need to know what we have in stock to decide what's going on the menu for the three upcoming events this week, so I can make sure the financials stay in line...

The responsibility is bigger than I anticipated, to be honest. And not a lot of people are interested in casual conversation about food cost break even points, where to track down live musicians (since you know, a lot of them are dead now) and how to exterminate the seasonal fruit fly population.

My husband just returned from Thailand, and between bouts of unexpectedly falling asleep, is in the process of planning a cafe featuring 'Friday night live music, fair trade coffee/merchandise and a community services sponsored sandwich program' less than one block away. I suppose I should be wishing him well since he assures me his project is in no way in competition with mine, but my gosh ~ it sounds exactly like what we've been doing for the past two years. Not sure how to rationalize that yet...

I ran in to one of our suppliers in Superstore yesterday, who naturally inquired about the state of things. He's made his career in the hospitality business and has been a great source of information to us, hah, in spite of being a salesman. He offered to have a coffee sometime and bounce around some ideas for the new direction. I think he really meant it and wasn't just being nice. Once again I had to steel myself against the rush of emotion I get when people offer help. I'm starved for anything positive, anything encouraging, and any ideas I'm not trying to pull out of my own ass these days.

I'm thinking structurally, we should be searching for more management team people. Team ~ ohhh, perish the word. But in reality, it means a sharing of the responsibility, a broader range of contacts, more manpower, more financial input.

I'm excited at the thought of partnering with the high schools in a work experience program. A little nervous about the how to's, and 'selling' the idea, but hopeful it could be something new & ground breaking.

Also thinking of how to open daily, maybe 11-2 as a coffeehouse & 'Express Lunch' place as we continue to build the events/catering/live music side of things.

And the name...what do we call what we're becoming?

Lots to think about, obsess about, dream about. And it all starts with dunging out the freezer. Off I go.

(Oh ya, and this is the new table tent drink menu I'm working on...'Spiked', get it?)

3 comments:

Connie said...

Lori, we use a Venus fly-trap for fruitflies.

Lori said...

Thanks Connie!

Apparently a combo of balsamic vinegar and a piece of fruit under saran with holes works too.

Connie said...

Good to know :)