Monday, September 7, 2009

Selective Vision

I'm sure it's not the first time rose coloured glasses (or hah, in my case lack of them) have thrown a glitch in the best laid plans ~ but somehow when I got this prep fridge repair bill last week, I registered only $97 due on receipt, not $597! Oh my...

At any rate, I guess you can view these things in life as vision shattering, or find your friggin glasses and get on with it. I'm thinking to meet this, I'm going to have a do a revamp of my current business plan ~ which so far involves being open for live music/events/catering only. And to be honest, I think being mostly closed when you have a great facility is rather shortsighted anyhow.

I heard a guy on the radio a few weeks ago saying that the businesses that will survive the current recession (is it or isn't it over yet?!) are those willing to adapt. If the option for the BD is to adapt & pay that bill or close ~ well it's fairly clear to me what needs to be done.

And so, today I'm going to research the viability of opening daily, maybe from 11-2 to start, as a coffeehouse/express lunch place. I have a friend who's very successfully doing this already and I'm going to go over and pick her brain. I inventoried yesterday, and have lots of un-used luncheon tock. I figure the cost of opening this way is mostly time, current stock, and another able body, so there's not much to lose. My sanity left long ago anyhow. And really, it's amazing what you can acomplish without sanity!

What a wonderful adventure of adaptation this is! (and I mean that quite seriously.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Improvise and adapt is the key to any success. I am sure you can make the BD work.
R

Anonymous said...

I just read your last post....So Mike is trying to open a coffee shop featuring Friday night live music, fair trade coffee/merchandise and a community services sponsored sandwich program, less than 1 block away. What the FUCK????? Give your head a shake Mike. Only a M-O-R-O-N can rationalize this!

Anonymous said...

And Yes that comment was from me.
R.

Erin said...

Woooot! You're that beautiful kind of blend between courageous + crazy!